Video conferencing has changed the way people communicate. Many people now appreciate the benefits of using video conferencing to extend communication worldwide. Moreover, it has even radicalized the way some traditional techniques are employed. Take for example the way teachers hold their classes. Education is not limited to the classroom anymore and we now see an influx of classes offered where teachers now communicate with their students through a shared video screen. Indeed, video conferencing for education has reached new heights especially now that anyone can be online no matter where they are.
Here are just some of the things that video conferencing and video streaming can do:
- Never missing out on classes or meetings: It’s inevitable for some students to miss a class or two. With the video conferencing tools available today, classes can now be easily recorded and saved. Once saved, students who wish to access the record again may do so and will not miss out on the lessons provided. This would also be helpful for various meetings, especially those between fellow teachers, because those who miss the meetings will be able to easily access the archived videos and can just catch up with what was discussed.
- All access for all students: Economic and geographical impediments are the reasons why some students cannot take quality education. With video conferencing available, this is remedied by bringing the class to the students themselves. The students will not need to be physically present in the classes anymore. They can just conduct video conferencing with their classes or teachers of choice and education would still be on par as that of typical classroom education. Also, students from all around the world could also setup a network of their own to connect with other students from other countries. This way, video conferencing molds the cultural appreciation needed to make these students worldly professionals in the future. Moreover, video conferencing can assist students work hand in hand with their advisors while they are writing their thesis or dissertation. This ensures that they don’t waste time when professors are away. This way, students are capable or writing high quality term papers by video conferencing with their advisors.
- Unlimited places to go: The best part of video conferencing is that it gives the students a chance to go to other places they may never be able to go to. For example, some field trips may be too much of a burden to some classes due to the funds required to accomplish high-quality educational tours. Now, we can turn to video-conferencing by letting it take the students to places that are normally out of reach. They can be taken to museums, historical sites and even other countries. Knowledge gained from these virtual tours would then be able to enrich their minds effectively. Knowledge which could not have even been acquired if the video conference was not realized in the first place.
- Resource speakers at beck and call: There are a lot of times where only specialists can provide the necessary knowledge that classes need. Unfortunately, not all specialists are easily reachable or available if requested for an on-class visit or lecture. Field trips to see these lecturers or specialists would also be out of the question since it would involve additional expenditures by the students just to travel to see them. Video conferencing has now provided the solution to this problem by bringing the specialists personally to the students. They can now perform or do their lectures through sharing video. Furthermore, students can easily interact with them especially if there are some things that need clarification.
- Engaging parents and teachers alike: A common concern for both parents and teachers would always be the students that they are handling. Conferences between parents and teachers are important so that concerns are easily voiced out for the well-being of the student involved. This also fosters an environment of good communication and trust between the two parties. But since schedule availability always remains to be a problem, video conferencing can be the best alternative. Teachers and parents can still do face-to-face meetings without the encumbrance of not having their schedules meet.
Video conferencing for education has indeed provided a lot of great benefits not only to the students, but also to the teachers and to the schools as well. Its economic benefit involves the cutting down of costs by the fact that expensive trips can be lessened entirely. It has also proved to make use of time efficiently for all parties that avail of the readily available service. Furthermore, it boosts communication and collaboration between students and teachers while writing their research papers by bridging the gap to successful exchange of ideas, concerns and knowledge. And definitely, it has put down the limits of where education should be taught. Education is not boxed anymore by the four walls of a classroom with the advent of video conferencing.